Whole Education is seeking a new chair to take over from Lord Jim Knight of Weymouth in early 2021.
We are seeking an experienced and well connected educationalist who has displayed a commitment to ‘whole education values’ in their career, to chair the WE board and work closely with our executive team to lead the strategic development of the organisation for the next 3-5 years.
Summary information is provided below, with more information for interested parties available on request.
Our vision is …
An education system in which all young people thrive in life, learning and work.
Our mission is …
To collaborate with leaders at all levels to provide a high-quality whole education
A whole education is one that …
- Develops the range of skills, qualities and knowledge learners need to thrive in life, learning & work
- Makes learning more relevant and engaging, with pupils/students taking ownership of their own learning
- Supports learning across various settings (online, outside, at home and through volunteering and work) while engaging the wider community
Our three key strategic priorities are …
- Helping our schools deliver a high quality whole education
- Growing the number of schools that we work with
- Increasing awareness and influence of Whole Education in the system
Whole Education is growing in size, reach and significance …
- Core Membership (> 150 schools): We have a core nucleus of around 150 member schools, split between primary and secondary, most of whom are in small to medium local multi-academy trusts
- Wider School Engagement (300+ schools): In addition to core membership, we work with over 20 locality areas and over additional 300 schools on a range of programmes
- WE enjoy high membership retention rates, very positive community engagement and feedback and examples of impact
- Whole Education was recognised in a House of Commons Education Select Committee as an example of good practice and has been case studied by the OECD as an example of spreading innovation across the English school system
Whole Education is at a key stage in its strategic development, with the opportunity to:
- work with a significantly greater number of schools, trusts and localities to help all their children and young people to thrive in life, learning and work
- develop even greater awareness and influence within the education system of how Whole Education can help
We are seeking Chair to work closely with our executive team, alongside helping to grow the board through 2021, including greater representation of our school leaders.
Experience and skills
We are looking for someone with:
- A demonstrated passion and commitment to the importance of a whole education in their career
- Experience of Chairing boards
- Well connected in the education and school system, with an ability to help contribute to one or both of:
- Supporting growth of schools, trusts and localities WE work with
- Increasing the awareness and influence of WE in the education system
We want to find the right candidate for the role and are open minded on the time commitment. Ideally you might be able to give 1-2 days per month and we would remunerate you for your time. If you had less time to give but tick all other boxes, we would find a way of making things work, perhaps with a supporting vice-chair.
“Whole Education is going from strength to strength as schools across the country come to us for help in delivering both a rounded education and meeting the demands of the accountability system. The Board is excited to grow and develop in order to help take the organisation to the next level. The next step is find the right person to lead the Board and this represents a wonderful opportunity for someone who marries a passion for whole child development with sharp experience and acumen in leading scaling organisations”
– Jim Knight, Whole Education Board Chair
“A whole education has never been more important for our children and young people. As a member of the WE board, knowing that I’m supporting the work of the network and helping it to drive change for the benefit of young people across the country is hugely rewarding and enriching.”
– Heather Styche-Patel, Whole Education Board Member
For more information …
If you are interested in finding out more about this role (or future involvement at Board level), please get in touch for a confidential informal conversation . More information on request. Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Or to express your interest please complete this form and we will be in touch :